Follow these instructions to add a Hebcal Jewish holiday calendar 5-year feed to Joomla CMS via the JEvents extension. These instructions are courtesy of Yaniv Feldman from Fancy Design LLC. Thanks!
- Under Components choose JEvents
- From the JEvents control panel choose “Manage Categories”
- Click the “New” (+plus icon) from the top toolbar to create a new category
- Name your category, something like “Shabbat Times” (without quotes)
- Set your own parameters (optional) – recommended: set “Check for overlapping events?” to “No” because Shabbat times shouldn’t be effected by other events.
- Click “Save and Close” from the top toolbar.
- From the JEvents control panel choose “Manage Calendars”
- Click the “New” (+plus icon) from the top toolbar to create a new calendar
- Choose a category under which you need this calendar created – ideally the one you’ve just create.
- From the “From file” tab (bottom) choose the file you created on the preparation section of this document.
- Wait patiently for the entire calendar to upload – this stage ends when you’re back in the JEvents control panel with a message under the JEvents logo which reads: “1457 iCal events processed ICS_FILE_IMPORTED” (The number may vary, depending on the amount of records added)
- To create a Shabbat Times calendar, which is based on your preferences, visit this URL:https://www.hebcal.com/hebcal/
- After tweaking the settings to your need, click on “Create Calendar”.
- From the top, click on “Download…”
- From the popup window choose “Google Calendar” and then “Download”
- Save the file where you can find it – you may rename it, but keep the file extension “.ics”
- To create a module for presentation, choose “Extensions > Module Manager” from the top menu
- Click the “New” (+plus icon) from the top toolbar to create a new module
- Choose “Latest JEvents” from the list of Module Types.
- Name your module – I named it “Shabbat Times” (without quotes)
- Select a position, if you need it anywhere on your website (AcyMailing doesn’t need any position so for that purpose, leave it blank)
- From the “Basic Options”, under “Select Categories” choose “Shabbat Times” or whatever you named the JEvents category..
- Leave all other settings “as is”. Recommended – Control the number of events shown under “Display Mode” – I choose option #0 (current/following week events) for the sake of the weekly newsletter.
- Click Save & Close.