Many calendar desktop, mobile or web apps support the iCalendar (.ICS file extension) format. Hebcal has specific instructions for the major calendar apps in that consume iCalendar files (see below).
iCalendar is an open standard for exchanging calendar information. It is also known as RFC 2445.
For minor calendar apps, Hebcal recommends the following:
- Go to http://www.hebcal.com/hebcal/ if you’re downloading a holiday calendar, or http://www.hebcal.com/yahrzeit/ if you’re downloading a Yahrzeit + Anniversary calendar.
- Fill out the form with your preferences and click the Create Calendar button
- Click the Download… button
- Select the Outlook 2011 (Mac OS X) option from the Download dialog box
- Click on the Jewish Calendar YYYY-YYYY.ics download button
- Import the Jewish Calendar YYYY-YYYY.ics file into your app
Specific instructions for the major calendar apps which use iCalendar format:
- Outlook 2007, 2010 for Windows
- Outlook 2011 Mac OS X
- Apple iCal
- iPhone / iPad
- Google Calendar
- Android Calendar
- Yahoo! Calendar
Included in the Hebcal Jewish holiday downloads are options to select major holidays (Rosh Hashana, Yom Kippur, Pesach, etc.), minor holidays (Purim, Chanukah, etc.), special Shabbatot, public fasts (Tish’a B’Av, etc.), Rosh Chodesh, and modern holidays (Yom HaAtzma’ut, etc.)