Parashat Shmini 5797 / פָּרָשַׁת שְּׁמִינִי
/ 26 Nisan 5797
Parashat Shmini is the 26th weekly Torah portion in the annual Jewish cycle of Torah reading.
Torah Portion: Leviticus 9:1-11:47
Shemini (“Eighth”) opens with the consecration of the Mishkan (Tabernacle). Two of Aaron’s sons are consumed by a fire sent from God when they attempt to offer a “strange fire.” God describes the animals, birds, and fish that are permissible and prohibited for consumption, as well as some laws of ritual purity. 
Haftarah for Ashkenazim: II Samuel 6:1-7:17 · 40 p’sukim
Haftarah for Sephardim: II Samuel 6:1-19 · 19 p’sukim
Weekday for Shabbat afternoon, Monday & Thursday
Commentary and Divrei Torah
List of DatesParashat Shmini is read in the Diaspora on:
- The Chumash: The Stone Edition (Artscroll Series) (paid link)
- Nosson Scherman, Mesorah Publications, 1993
- A Complete Triennial System for Reading the Torah
- Committee on Jewish Law and Standards of the Rabbinical Assembly
- Parashat Shmini from Sefaria.org
- Sefaria, Inc.