Parashat Yitro 5794 / פָּרָשַׁת יִתְרוֹ
/ 22 Sh'vat 5794
Parashat Yitro is the 17th weekly Torah portion in the annual Jewish cycle of Torah reading.
Torah Portion: Exodus 18:1-20:23
Yitro (“Jethro”) begins as Moses reunites with his father-in-law Yitro and accepts his advice to appoint judges who will help govern the Israelites. The Israelites prepare to encounter God at Mount Sinai. God descends amidst fire, smoke, thunder, and the blast of a shofar and gives the Ten Commandments. 
Haftarah for Ashkenazim: Isaiah 6:1-7:6, 9:5-6 · 21 p’sukim
Haftarah for Sephardim: Isaiah 6:1-13 · 13 p’sukim
Weekday for Shabbat afternoon, Monday & Thursday
Commentary and Divrei Torah
List of DatesParashat Yitro is read in the Diaspora on:
- The Chumash: The Stone Edition (Artscroll Series) (paid link)
- Nosson Scherman, Mesorah Publications, 1993
- A Complete Triennial System for Reading the Torah
- Committee on Jewish Law and Standards of the Rabbinical Assembly
- Parashat Yitro from Sefaria.org
- Sefaria, Inc.