Parashat Vayeshev 5796 / פָּרָשַׁת וַיֵּשֶׁב
/ 21 Kislev 5796
Parashat Vayeshev is the 9th weekly Torah portion in the annual Jewish cycle of Torah reading.
Torah Portion: Genesis 37:1-40:23
Vayeshev (“He Settled”) begins the story of Joseph, describing his rivalry with his brothers, slavery in Egypt, and imprisonment after his master’s wife frames him in response to Joseph’s refusal of her advances. It also contains the story of Tamar, her husbands, and her father-in-law, Judah. 
Haftarah: Amos 2:6-3:8 · 19 p’sukim
Weekday for Shabbat afternoon, Monday & Thursday
Commentary and Divrei Torah
List of DatesParashat Vayeshev is read in the Diaspora on:
- The Chumash: The Stone Edition (Artscroll Series) (paid link)
- Nosson Scherman, Mesorah Publications, 1993
- A Complete Triennial System for Reading the Torah
- Committee on Jewish Law and Standards of the Rabbinical Assembly
- Parashat Vayeshev from Sefaria.org
- Sefaria, Inc.