Parashat Vayera 5800 / פָּרָשַׁת וַיֵּרָא
/ 18 Cheshvan 5800
Parashat Vayera is the 4th weekly Torah portion in the annual Jewish cycle of Torah reading.
Torah Portion: Genesis 18:1-22:24
Vayera (“He Appeared”) opens as guests inform Abraham that Sarah will give birth. Despite Abraham’s attempts to convince God otherwise, God destroys the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah. Sarah gives birth to Isaac, and Abraham sends away Hagar and Ishmael. At God’s command, Abraham prepares to sacrifice Isaac, but an angel of God tells Abraham to offer a ram instead. 
Haftarah for Ashkenazim: II Kings 4:1-37 · 37 p’sukim
Haftarah for Sephardim: II Kings 4:1-23 · 23 p’sukim
Weekday for Shabbat afternoon, Monday & Thursday
Commentary and Divrei Torah
List of DatesParashat Vayera is read in the Diaspora on:
- The Chumash: The Stone Edition (Artscroll Series) (paid link)
- Nosson Scherman, Mesorah Publications, 1993
- A Complete Triennial System for Reading the Torah
- Committee on Jewish Law and Standards of the Rabbinical Assembly
- Parashat Vayera from Sefaria.org
- Sefaria, Inc.