Parashat Nitzavim-Vayeilech 5783 / פָּרָשַׁת נִצָּבִים־וַיֵּלֶךְ
/ 23 Elul 5783
Parashat Nitzavim-Vayeilech is the 51st and 52nd weekly Torah portion in the annual Jewish cycle of Torah reading.
Torah Portion: Deuteronomy 29:9-31:30
In Nitzavim (“Standing”), Moses addresses the Israelites, emphasizing the importance of following God’s covenant and of not worshiping other gods. He describes the process of repentance and returning to God, and stresses that God’s commandments are achievable and “not in the heavens.” Vayeilech (“He Went”) opens as Moses tells the Israelites that he will not lead them into the Land of Israel, and that Joshua will take over. He instructs the Israelites to gather and read Torah publicly every seven years. At God’s command, Moses writes a poem bearing witness to God’s covenant with the Israelites. 
Haftarah: Isaiah 61:10-63:9 · 23 p’sukim
Weekday for Shabbat afternoon, Monday & Thursday
Commentary and Divrei Torah
List of DatesParashat Nitzavim-Vayeilech is read in the Diaspora on:
- The Chumash: The Stone Edition (Artscroll Series) (paid link)
- Nosson Scherman, Mesorah Publications, 1993
- A Complete Triennial System for Reading the Torah
- Committee on Jewish Law and Standards of the Rabbinical Assembly
- Parashat Nitzavim-Vayeilech from Sefaria.org
- Sefaria, Inc.