Parashat Chayei Sara 5796 / פָּרָשַׁת חַיֵּי שָֹרָה
/ 22 Cheshvan 5796
Parashat Chayei Sara is the 5th weekly Torah portion in the annual Jewish cycle of Torah reading.
Torah Portion: Genesis 23:1-25:18
Chayei Sarah (“The Life of Sarah”) opens as Sarah dies and Abraham buys the Cave of Machpelah to bury her. Abraham sends his servant to find a wife for Isaac. The servant meets Rebecca at a well, and Rebecca returns with the servant to marry Isaac. Abraham remarries, has more children, and dies at age 175. 
Haftarah: I Kings 1:1-31 · 31 p’sukim
Weekday for Shabbat afternoon, Monday & Thursday
Commentary and Divrei Torah
List of DatesParashat Chayei Sara is read in the Diaspora on:
- The Chumash: The Stone Edition (Artscroll Series) (paid link)
- Nosson Scherman, Mesorah Publications, 1993
- A Complete Triennial System for Reading the Torah
- Committee on Jewish Law and Standards of the Rabbinical Assembly
- Parashat Chayei Sara from Sefaria.org
- Sefaria, Inc.