Parashat Bereshit 5781 / פרשת בְּרֵאשִׁית
Read on (29 Tishrei 5781).
Parashat Bereshit is the 1st weekly Torah portion in the annual Jewish cycle of Torah reading.
Torah Portion: Genesis 1:1-6:8
In Parashat Bereshit, God creates the heavens, the world, Adam and Eve, and Sabbath. A serpent convinces Eve, who then invites Adam, to eat the fruit of tree of the knowledge of good and evil, which God had forbidden to them. So God curses them and expels them from the Garden of Eden. One of their sons, Cain, becomes the first murderer, killing his brother Abel out of jealousy. Adam and Eve have other children, whose descendants populate the Earth. Each generation becomes more and more degenerate until God, despairing, decides to destroy humanity. Only one man, Noah, finds God's favor. 
Haftarah for Ashkenazim: I Samuel 20:18 - 20:42 · 25 p’sukim // Shabbat Machar Chodesh
Regular Haftarah for Bereshit: Isaiah 42:5 - 43:10
Haftarah for Sephardim: Isaiah 42:5 - 42:21 · 17 p’sukim
Commentary and Divrei Torah
List of DatesParashat Bereshit is read in the Diaspora on:
- The Chumash: The Stone Edition (Artscroll Series) (paid link)
- Nosson Scherman, Mesorah Publications, 1993
- A Complete Triennial System for Reading the Torah
- Committee on Jewish Law and Standards of the Rabbinical Assembly
- "Bereshit (parashah) from Wikipedia" in Wikipedia: The Free Encyclopedia
- Wikimedia Foundation Inc.