Shabbat Zachor / שבת זכור
Shabbat Zachor ("Sabbath [of] remembrance שבת זכור) is the Shabbat immediately preceding Purim. Deuteronomy 25:17-19, describing the attack by Amalek, is recounted. There is a tradition from the Talmud that Haman, the antagonist of the Purim story, was descended from Amalek. The portion that is read includes a commandment to remember the attack by Amalek, and therefore at this public reading both men and women make a special effort to hear the reading.
Shabbat Zachor begins at sundown on Fri, 06 March 2020.
List of DatesShabbat Zachor begins on:
- at sundown (9th of Adar II, 5779)
- at sundown (11th of Adar, 5780)
- at sundown (8th of Adar, 5781)
- at sundown (9th of Adar II, 5782)
- at sundown (11th of Adar, 5783)
- at sundown (13th of Adar II, 5784)
- at sundown (8th of Adar, 5785)
- at sundown (11th of Adar, 5786)
- at sundown (11th of Adar II, 5787)
- at sundown (13th of Adar, 5788)
Torah Portion: Deuteronomy 25:17 - 25:19 (special maftir)
maf: Deuteronomy 25:17-19
Haftarah: I Samuel 15:2 - 15:34
- The Jewish Holidays: A Guide & Commentary
- Rabbi Michael Strassfeld
- Sefaria Tanach
- Tanakh: The Holy Scriptures
- Jewish Publication Society
- "Special Shabbat" in Wikipedia: The Free Encyclopedia
- Wikimedia Foundation Inc.