Follow these instructions to add a Hebcal Jewish holiday calendar 5-year feed to Outlook.com (previously called Windows Live Calendar).
- Go to http://www.hebcal.com/hebcal/ if you’re downloading a holiday calendar, or http://www.hebcal.com/yahrzeit/ if you’re downloading a Yahrzeit + Anniversary calendar.
- Fill out the form with your preferences and click the Create Calendar button
- Click the Download… button
- Select the Outlook.com option from the Download dialog box, and click on Download to Outlook.com Calendar button.
- When you get to the Outlook.com page, select a calendar color and an optional Charm, then click Subscribe:
Included in the Hebcal Jewish holiday downloads are options to select major holidays (Rosh Hashana, Yom Kippur, Pesach, etc.), minor holidays (Purim, Chanukah, etc.), special Shabbatot, public fasts (Tish’a B’Av, etc.), Rosh Chodesh, and modern holidays (Yom HaAtzma’ut, etc.).
Feel free to make printed calendars, email newsletters, refrigerator magnets, and other content using events from Hebcal.com.
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.
Among other things, this license gives you permission to remix, transform, and build upon the material for any purpose, even commercially. You must give appropriate credit to Hebcal.com, but beyond that you need not send us money or even explicitly ask us for permission.
Follow these steps to remove Hebcal events from your Mac Desktop calendar or iCloud calendar and you didn’t use the Subscription feature.
(If you subscribed to a Hebcal in Apple iCal on Mac OS X, follow our delete/unsubscribe from Mac Calendar (iCal) instructions.)
1. Open Mac Calendar, and uncheck all calendars except for the one that contains Hebcal events.
2. In the search box on the upper-right, type the text “hebcal” and press Return to select Events that contain “hebcal”
3. Click on the first item in the search results pane on the right. Scroll to the bottom, and holding down the Shift key, click on the last item in the search results pane on the right
4. Press the Delete key, or use the Edit > Delete menu to remove the events.
We’ve tested these instructions on Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks and Mac OS X 10.10.2 Yosemite.
To delete Hebcal events from Microsoft Outlook 2011 for Mac OS X, follow these steps.
1. First, open your Calendar within Outlook
2. Next, search for “hebcal” in the search box on the upper right
3. Click on one of the search results, then select all of the entries in the list via Edit > Select All
4. Delete the entries via Edit > Delete
To make a change to a Yahrzeit + Anniversary calendar calendar, delete or unsubscribe from the calendar. Return to Hebcal.com and re-enter in all of the event details, then download again. Hebcal does not yet support editing event dates.
To avoid storing sensitive user data on our servers, Hebcal.com recently modified our Yahrzeit + Anniversary calendar export to “download” instead of “subscribe” calendars. This change affects Yahrzeit + Anniversary calendars created on Hebcal beginning in January 2014, and it applies across iOS, Mac Desktop, Microsoft Outlook, etc.
To make changes like adding a new Yahrzeit or removing one depends on when you downloaded your data from Hebcal.
- If you “subscribed” to a Yahrzeit + Anniversary calendar (before Jan 2014), delete/unsubscribe from the calendar. Return to Hebcal.com and re-enter in all of the data, then download again.
- If you “downloaded” (Jan 2014 and later), then any Yahrzeit or Anniversary reminders are now part of your regular calendar (often called “Home” or “Calendar”). To add new events, just go to Hebcal.com and create reminders and download again. To remove events, search for the event(s) in your regular calendar and simply remove them.
Note that this recent change does not apply to regular holiday calendars. Those still offer the “subscribe” functionality.